Monday 11 April 2011

Exercise: positioning a point

I found the instructions for this exercise rather confusing – it was not clear to me whether the images selected should illustrate a single point positioned on a background which contained no other detail (a plane in a clear blue sky, for example, or a lone car in an empty and unmarked car park) or whether other features were allowed (as in the examples given in the book). I've opted for the latter approach for one of these, ensuring however that the other features in the images would not be considered a single points; for the two other images there is a single point against a (relatively) plain background.













This first photograph shows a couple walking together on the beach at Brighton. I've placed them in a spot which balances them with the pier in the background – the idea being that the harmony and balance in the composition will suggest harmony and balance in the relationship between the couple.





In this photograph I've positioned a single point – a padlock – right in the centre of the frame. I wanted to suggest lack of movement – emphasising that the padlock is an uncompromising obstacle.


















Finally, a photograph of what passes as graffiti in Cambridge. I've placed this in what I perceive to be a slightly unconventional position in the frame – the idea is that it's a puzzle, something unexpected.








No comments:

Post a Comment